Packing for the Hospital

Lauren_E
on 6/18/12 12:48 pm
Hello Barix Patients and All of PA,

Still scheduled for Monday, June 25th...  Which means one week from now I hope to be safely through surgery!  I'm more excited than nervous and the liquid diet is really not such a big deal. 

My question is...  What to pack?  And (maybe) what not to pack???

I'm sure all of this good information is on one of the multiple handouts in my folder -- but I know some of you fine folk out there may have some tips and tricks that aren't in black and white...

Thanks so much for your support :-)

xoxo
Lauren
Patricia R.
on 6/19/12 1:18 am - Perry, MI
 Hi Lauren,
So exciting this next week will be.  If you have an iPod, or iPhone, I suggest you take that and a charger, because when I was there, both in '06 and in '07, the television stations sucked.  Take some slip on shoes or sandals you can take your walks in.  Practice your breathing exercises now, and several times a day between now and admission.  Take your favorite body wash and shampoo and conditioner.  Take whatever makes you feel pretty.  Take some sort of nice robe for your walks.  I had my surgery in August, so I took a terry cover up for the beach.  

I had my kitchen stocked with all my liquids for the first three weeks.  I found Isopure makes a clear liquid drink that has 40 grams of protein in each bottle.  They have a variety of flavors, but I only like the Grape Frost.  It reminded me of grape Kool Aid.  That helped me make my protein goals from the very first week.

I made homemade chicken soup and beef vegetable soup, and strained the liquid for my clear liquid week, and pureed the solids and put them in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, I put them in ziplock freezer bags.  That gave me pureed food for the puree stage.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lauren_E
on 6/19/12 11:31 am
Hi, Trish!  

I'm really excited! hadn't thought of making soup ahead of time, because I'm still thinking I'm going to be feeling great a week or two after surgery.  Hopefully I am not being too delusional.  I love the idea of having the liquid for clear liquids week and the solids for the pureed stage!  That is VERY efficient!  I will definitely make soup and get the isopure product you were referring to - 40 grams is a lot!

Thanks a bunch!
Lauren
Patricia R.
on 6/19/12 11:59 am - Perry, MI
 You will feel better than you might expect, but you will tire easily.  If you take the pain med, it makes you drowsy.  Plus, you will need to be walking several times a day.  While you are in the hospital, prepare to go walking every four hours.  They even woke me in the middle of the night for breathing exercises and walks.  Make sure you have some sort of sneaker or sandal you don't have to tie.  Bending to tie your shoes will be painful, because of the incisions.  

I forgot about packing the pads.The surgery does bring on some women's periods suddenly.  

Also, you can find some of the Isopure Protein drinks at GNC.  Once I found I liked the Grape Frost, I ordered a case of it from, I think DrugStore.com, or some such website.  I think shipping was free.

For the second and third weeks, full liquids, I bought a container of AnyWhey at Barix, and made protein shakes with Dannon Lite and Free Yogurt, berries, milk and a scoop of AnyWhey.  It's a total of about 30 grams of protein.  If I wanted something chocolate, I'd use Carnation Instant Breakfast, Sugar Free Chocolate, Milk and a scoop of Anywhey.  That's also about 30 grams of protein.  

Stock up on sugar free puddings, sugar free popsicles, sugar free fudge pops, sugar free jello.  The popsicles and jello are good for the clear liquid phase.  The puddings and fudge pops are good for the full liquid phase.  You can also use the jello and popsicles during full liquid phase.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

bvohl
on 6/19/12 1:19 am
 Lauren, 

Bring a good pair of sneakers to walk the halls! Also, bring feminine products, I.e. pads, tampons, etc. I was not prepared for that post op. I guess the shock of the surgery brought on my period???

Many people suggest iPod, phone, books, but after surgery I just wanted to sleep with no noise. Didn't really have time to read or listen to music. The nurses at Barix will have you moving and grooving...

Just my two cents!!!

Good luck!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lauren_E
on 6/19/12 11:57 am
Hi Beth!

I have no idea what kind of discomfort to expect after surgery. I'm hoping that it's maybe like childbirth, and you kind of forget the pain pretty soon after it's over. I've got the sneakers and pj's packed.  All this while two kids are home with me and I'm packing my big one for a month away at camp.  It's good to be a teacher this time of year.  I don't know how I would manage otherwise...

Your two cents are always appreciated :-)

Thanks!!!!!

Lauren

Jackie Fisher
on 6/19/12 1:55 am - PA
Yay Lauren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously all I would recommend are comfy walking shoes, your cell phone and charger, i brought comfy panties and pajama pants, and chap stick!! Beth also brought up a good point about tampons or pads.. I have heard of many women having their period brought on by surgery!! (I got mine the night before.. lucky me!)

Other than that, you really don't need or have time for anything else!! So excited for you!!

Jackie
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Lauren_E
on 6/19/12 11:49 am
Thanks, Jackie!

I'm sooo excited! I  was wondering about wearing my own pj's, etc...  I wasn't sure how "hooked up" I would be and for how long, to machines and IV... I'm hoping I don't get my period... I just finished... But I did read that it happens a lot... I overpack for everything...  This is likely going to be no different.

I'm hoping to get to the support group meeting tomorrow night.

Hope to see you there :-)

Lauren 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views